Monday, April 13, 2009

Using Strategy Guides for RPGs

Just a quick post to let you all know that I'm still here. I had to go away on business last week, so I didn't have time for the blog...or much of anything else.

But, before I left, I finally finished one of my favorite video games of all time: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune for the PS3. Between the great story line, smooth game play, fun puzzles, and incredible visuals, this game has it all.

Although I've been playing video games since high school, I wouldn't say I'm a true video junky. I mean, I've had all the game systems since the Nintendo 64 (except for the xbox), but I don't actually play games very often (I like to have them around just in case). I usually like playing games with someone else, so you won't find me all alone for hours playing a video game. And, if I get stuck, I give up pretty easily.

But, since Uncharted was such a good game, I actually finished it. I think I can count on my hands how many video games I've actually finished, so this was a pretty big occasion.

I also bought the strategy guide for Uncharted, and now I'm thinking that I could really use some of the maps (and even some of the story line) for one of my future pulp RPG campaigns. The strategy guides these days have beautiful maps in them and interesting information. I could even use some of the cut scenes from the game to set the mood for some parts that I reuse.

Has anyone else used video game strategy guides for an RPG? I'd be interested to hear what worked and what didn't.

Meanwhile, I think I'm going to play Conan next. My nephew was playing it last time he was hear and it looked really fun.

(BTW, I'm going to try to post a new blog entry on every Friday. We'll see if I can stick to that schedule.)

No comments:

Post a Comment